Sunday, September 4, 2011

What I did on my summer vacation

Chris Jeon, a 21-year old UCLA math major went to Libya and "fought" with the rebel alliance to overthrow the government of  Col. Mohammar Khaddaffi. Admirable of Jeon and yet appallingly stupid. A nice story he'll have to tell his grandchildren some day themed along the lines of For Whom the Bell Tolls  no doubt. But holy smokes man.  It all could have went really bad for Jeon had Khadaffi's minions gotten ahold of him or he'd took a bullet through the neck as George Orwell did during his volunteer warrior service in the Spanish Civil War. Youth is wasted on the young as someone wiser than I once noted. But still I do kind of admire Jeon for being so ballsy and then getting away with it. But I don't recommend following his example though. To paraphrase every mother's advice: It's all fun until someone gets arrested and executed as a mercenary/spy or gets shot through the head by a sniper.